Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Heart of Gold

I never paid much attention to the lyrics then. At eight years old, I adored him as he did me. It was one of those lazy Saturday afternoons when I had nothing to do. My dad was blasting old school R&B in the living room. He called me from my room and told me he was going to teach me how to dance.

Hearts of fire creates love desire. Takes you higher and higher to the place you belong. Hearts of fire creates love desire, higher and higher to your place on the thrown.


We began doing a simple two-step. His hands held mine as we swayed from side-to-side. We were in our own little word.

You will find peace of mind if you look way down in your heart and soul. Don’t hesitate ‘cause the world seems cold. Stay young at heart…

He spun me around and I felt like a princess in a fairy tale. He was my hero, my daddy.

A child is born with a heart of gold. The way of the world turns his heart so cold.

I never paid much attention to the lyrics then. I had a heart of gold and enjoyed my father’s company. Unfortunately, I grew up. My father’s presence sickens me now. He’s a bitter, annoying, old fart of a man but the music still hasn’t lost its touch. It glimmers hope in my spirit that maybe, just maybe, there’s even a small piece of gold still left in me because I wish I could love my father again.

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but feel warm while reading this. I too had an older father. Towards the end, I can't tell if you are being facetious or serious about your father. All in all, I think it is a great piece.

    ReplyDelete