Tuesday, February 1, 2011

All Dressed Up In Love

"I look good in love."- Jennifer Hudson

I look good in love.
What color is it? Is it pink or red like Valentine hearts? Does it shine? Does it glow? Does it flow like taffeta? Is it loose-fitting and comfortable? Does it flatter everyone. Does it really hurt to wear? Is it restrictive and binding like a corset? Is it always a gift from others? Or can we give it to ourselves? Do nudists hate or love themselves that much? Can I buy it on sale? May I indulge in the retail therapy they call lust?

I look good in love. Can we accessorize wit ha clutch of a significant other that we hang on to like a Christmas ornament? Does it gloss like the pucker of lipstick? It certainly makes you blush but do you have a strong foundation? Maybe after a long day it can brush me like Mac would. I'll undress when I'm lonely. Or angry. Or sad.

1 comment:

  1. No need to repeat the JH quotation as the first line as we have it in the epigraph; Begin maybe "What color is love?" The specific noun is stronger than the pronoun. This is a good start for a poem, an unanswerable question that you then attempt to answer. Lust as retail therapy? Hmm. I'll need to think about that. "Wit ha"? colloquial or un-proofread? I like the word choices of gloss and pucker, blush with its several connotations. But who is Mac? Big? Apple? Significant other? If he shows up in act 3, introduce him in 1. I like the ending, the serial or's, the gamut of emotion, but am left still wondering what color--maybe return to the opening question in the end. A good draft.

    ReplyDelete